Manchester City and French international defender Benjamin Mendy has been charged with two additional counts of rape, prosecutors said on Tuesday.

He now faces six counts of rape and one of sexual assault relating to four complainants aged over 16, with all the alleged offences relating to the period between October 2020 and August this year.

The Crown Prosecution Service said in a statement on Tuesday that it had authorised Cheshire police to charge Mendy with two additional counts of rape and Louis Saha Matturie, 40, with two additional counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

Mendy, of Withinlee Road, Prestbury, Cheshire, and Matturie, of Edwin Court, Eccles, will appear at Stockport Magistrates’ Court on November 17, 2021.

The 27-year-old now faces six counts of rape and one of sexual assault which relates to four complainants over the age of 16.

It was reported that Mendy was refused bail in October ahead of his trial for rape and sexual assault.

Mendy, who is being held on remand at HMP Altcourse in Liverpool, was denied bail by a judge at Chester Crown Court.

Mendy, a £52 million ($70 million) signing from Monaco in 2017, has played 75 times for City, winning three Premier League titles, but his playing time has been blighted by injuries and loss of form.

He has just under two years left to run on a six-year contract.

The last of his 10 caps for France came in November 2019.

The left-back, who won the World Cup in 2018, has been suspended by the Premier League champions pending the outcome of the criminal proceedings.

A trial date had previously been set for January 2022.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here